How do I book?
Click here to be taken to the dedicated availability and booking page at our partners LHH Scotland. Oran na Mara tends to book up to 2 years ahead in the main season, with more general availability outside of the April to October period.
What does it cost?
Pricing varies by season, and again by clicking here you can check the availability and pricing for your requirements.
Can I bring dogs?
We are happy to accept one or two small well-behaved dogs. Dogs are not allowed in bedrooms or on furnishings, and must remain in the utility room or your own cage at night. They must not be left in the house unattended at any time. Òran na Mara is a special home with beautiful fittings, and we need to take care to look after it. Guests will understand that any damage will have to be charged, as will any additional cleaning required.
Are there facilities for children?
Yes, we have a travel cot with bedding and a high chair, as well as a set of children's crockery and cutlery. There are games and toys for children. The beaches of Harris are a paradise for little ones!
How do I get to Òran na Mara?
You have the choice between car travel via Skye or Uist using Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, or by air via one of Scotland's main airports and flying to Stornaway, where cars may be hired. Pick up from the airport can be arranged. Full details are available on our Location page.
What about food and drink?
There are excellent stores on Harris for all groceries needed, and a number of restaurants and cafés. You can even have meals delivered to the house or cooked there for you! The Isle of Harris Distillery sells the best gin in the world, and there are good stocks of wines, spirits and beers in the shops.
If you like seafood, before you visit you could order from Sean who delivers to Scarista every Tuesday - 07825 181634.
Òran na Mara has two fridges and two freezers available.
How about wifi?
We have wifi throughout the house using satellite broadband. This is fast but limited in the amount we can use, so please download any films or music before you come and don't use all of our allocation - or the next guests in the month won't be happy to have none left!
Is there a phone signal?
Not really. You can get signal by the gate on Vodafone, and generally on Harris the signal is patchy. But we do have a landline in the house, 01859 550486 from which calls to UK landlines are free for up to an hour on each call. Calls to mobiles are available up to £20 per week with our compliments.
What clothing shall I bring?
Bring warm clothes and waterproofs for the great outdoors, but Harris can get warm and the sun in the summer can be very strong, so sun lotion is a must. Walking boots or shoes too.
Midges are generally less of a problem on the Harris west coast than the Highlands due to the sea breezes and the more sandy soils. But midge repellant (like Smidge) is a wise addition in the summer months, just in case, and as you may travel to more peaty areas.
What is there to do on Harris?
Harris is a true island experience, with great walks, amazing wildlife, simply stunning scenery, and some of the best beaches not only in the UK but in the world. There are cafés and galleries to visit, prehistoric sites, hill walks of all standards, water sports, fishing, and perhaps a trip to the St Kilda islands with their poignant history and the highest sea cliffs in Britain.
In the summer, the days are incredibly long at this latitude. In the other seasons photographers love the light on Harris, and astronomy enthusiasts have the dark night skies with horizon-to-horizan Milky Way and the whole sky peppered with stars. Winter offers a chance of seeing the Northern Lights, and this is also when Òran na Mara tends to have more availability and rates are lower.
And, of course, to just relax in one of the most beautiful houses you will ever stay in, with panoramic views of the ever-changing seas and skies with islands and hills in the background - and gorgeous sunsets.
We can help you with specific suggestions to suit your interests.
What is there in the house?
Apart from the normal, we offer:
- a BBQ with tools for your use (bring charcoal)
- a wood/peat burning stove with initial supplies
- all electric is included
- all linens and towels
- beautiful bathrooms including the unique boat bathroom!
- Arran Aromatics shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower caps and vanity kits
- Hypnos beds with silk-filled duvets and wool-filled pillows (supremely comfortable!) with Egyptian cotton linens
- one room has a fixed king size bed, two rooms each have a king or twin according to your needs
- electric blankets in all beds
- alarm clocks
- hair dryers
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Panasonic bread maker
- professional cooking equipment with large Rangemaster stove
- superb Sonos surround sound system (works via a Sonos app on your phone, laptop or tablet - free to download)
- two large Smart TVs with satellite channels (the one in the lounge is hidden on an electric lift to avoid interrupting the incredible views)
- DVD players with a library of discs focused on the natural world
- library of books, magazines and games
- storage space for your bikes, surfboards etc. in an outside shed with sink and hanging for wetsuits etc.
- outside water and electricity
- outside benches and table
- melamine crockery for outside use, with plastic glassware
- spotter scope on tripod
- beach towels
- heated drying cupboard
- Bosch washing machine and tumbler, iron, ironing board
- Miele dishwasher
- study with giant built-in oak desk, sofa bed, USB and plug adapters, laser printer
- giant astronomical binoculars for use on those clear starry nights, with tripod